Monday, January 14, 2013

My year in review as a Published Author 2012

Well... here we are, 2012 has bid us a fond adieu as 2013 and all of its infinite possibilities has opened its door to us. Before I tell you what I think the future holds for me, let's take a quick stroll through what happened in 2012.

At the beginning of 2012, I published the first full-length novel in The Moon Coven Series, Compulsion. I couldn't believe that I had accomplished my first goal of the new year. But, I had and to an overwhelming response from the fans. I will be eternally grateful to them. They begged for more of The Moon Coven, and especially Granny's character. I never intended to write the novellas, but it seemed like a great way to give the fans more of certain side characters without detracting attention from the main story line. So, I set off to write Haunted Moon.



Compulsion


Haunted Moon


That proved challenging for me, you see I'm kind of a "long-winded" chick! Have you seen my vlogs? LOL
But, I did it. I was so proud of myself in March when I published my second book, albeit a novella, Haunted Moon. Within days of its release the reviews began pouring in, and they're still coming. 65+ 5 star reviews on Amazon... sent it straight to the Bestsellers list. 
Crying like a baby is an apt description of what I did for at least two (2) weeks. And, again the fans begged for more. So, I began writing Harvest Moon while working on the second full-length novel, Conversion.

In the middle of this journey, I had my first real photo shoot. The picture below is my favorite of all the shots taken that day.

AND, if the year hadn't been a complete success already, in March, I also had my first book signing!


Things were amazing, still are as a matter of fact :) I met some of the most Ah-mazing authors, editors, bloggers, and reviewers in the world... literally! Through the course of the year, I've become best friends with quite a few of them. It was finally time to release my next book, Harvest Moon.

Harvest Moon
It's the second novella, or side story from The Moon Coven Series. I'm so proud of the growth in my writing abilities. Okay, so this wouldn't be a year in review if I didn't talk about my favs of the year, right? That's what I thought! LOL Here we go...



Favorite Movies of 2012
The Cabin in the Woods
Breaking Dawn Part 2
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
Pitch Perfect
The Avengers

Favorite Songs of 2012
Luke Bryan ~ Country Girl 
Mumford & Sons ~ I will wait 
Taylor Swift ~ We are never getting back together 
FloRida ~ Whistle 

Favorite Books read in 2012
Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter 
The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

Phoenix Rising by Lisa C. Morgan
Unbound by Cat Miller 
Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill 
The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter 



A couple of weeks ago, I posed a question on my fanpage;
I'm working on my blogpost "My Year in Review as a Published Author" I'm not sure whether this will be a long or short post ;) Is there anything that you guys want me to answer in the post? If so, send me a pm... we want the questions and answers to be a surprise ♥ ~KB
Here are the questions I received along with their answers!
Okay KB, here's one for a Sunday afternoon while watching the Ravens. Of all of your characters who most resembles you?
I think that each character has a little of me in them. Some have my fears while others have my courage, or snarky personality ;)

What was your best return on investment for marketing, expenses, etc?
I'll have to let you know that one later :)

What was the biggest surprise?
The biggest surprise had to be a tie between Haunted Moon sitting on Amazon's Bestseller list from March till November and the response that it received from the fans <3

What was your biggest regret?
This one is actually pretty easy... not believing in myself earlier. I plunged into the literary world only a couple of years ago. Imagine what I could have done if I had started sooner :)

What was your happiest moment?
Holding my book in my hands for the very first time.

How did you grow your readership?
I'm not really sure how that happened actually... I went to bed one night and no one knew who I was and then the next morning, people knew me.

What does a day in your life look life?
LOL, My life is crazy. I usually wake up with my husband at around 5am. After 2 full pots of coffee I can finally think clearly, and I write, edit, work on graphics, or blurbs until 4pm. (That's when my monkey gets home from school) I cook, clean, and all the normal busy work around the house. At 9pm my son goes to bed, and I jump on the laptop to work on more book related stuff for a while and try to read all at the same time. Then I shut the computer off around 11pm and talk to my hubby and try to sleep. He usually doses off and I'm wide awake, so I get back on the computer and work until my eyes close.

What's your biggest writing struggle?
I think that it varies depending on what I'm supposed to be writing at the time.

And to put the cherries on top of my already beautiful Ice Cream Sunday of a year, 2012 Compulsion, the first book I have ever written was put on the "Best of 2012 Young Adult Books" List on Sabrina's Paranormal Palace!!! And, I was invited back to speak on a panel at UtopYA-- A convention for all female authors!!! Can we say.... SQUEEE!!!!!!!! 

2012 you've been amazing to me, my family, my friends, and my career, but... HELL-O and welcome 2013!!


Don't forget to join me on my new website
www.kbmillerbooks.com


No comments:

Post a Comment