Monday, November 10, 2014

Why is our society obsessed with reality TV?

I've been pondering this very question for some time now. 

What is it about watching ordinary people do absolutely insane things that intrigue us? Or watching "Housewives" live in a manner to which I have never seen any real housewife I know live. Have you noticed this too? 

Between the Honey Boo Boo's, Survivors of whichever crazy island they've been stranded on this season, to the glitzy, glamorous lives of waitresses and bartenders sleeping with anything and everything that moves, our society is completely hooked. We crave these shows worse than a fat kid craves a twinkie (By the way... I AM that fat kid!) Does this seem normal to you? I remember, and this is seriously giving away my age here (so be gentle) sitting on the living room floor on a Friday night watching Full House with my entire family. It was good, wholesome television that taught morals, love, and values families across America could enjoy and learn from.

Today's obsession with reality TV teaches our children to have unprotected sex with multiple partners, lie, cheat, and do whatever it is that they want to do without regard for consequences. Basically... it teaches them that there are no rules. That's why in my house there are strict rules against my child watching reality TV. When he turns 18, I know all bets are off, but until then I'm going to keep him on the straight and narrow, teaching what REALITY really is.

Recently, my father came to my house for a visit and I clicked the remote and turned on one of the "Real Housewife" shows that airs on Bravo just to see his reaction. After a few minutes, my father looked over at me, and honest to God said, "Where did they get these chicks? Rodeo Drive? They're not real housewives. Turn that stupid shit off. It'll rot your brain."

That was a common sentiment my Dad used to say to me growing up and I always rolled my eyes. However, now being a parent myself... I have to agree with him. Reality TV is going to rot your brains! Turn that shit off and pick up a book, any book.

So, do you think our society is obsessed with reality TV? And, if so... why do you think that is? I look forward to reading your opinions.


As always, until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment